History of the Seton River Corridor

A Timeline of Development, Impacts, and Restoration Efforts

The Sekw’el’was and T’it’qet communities of the St’at’imc are the original inhabitants of the Seton River Corridor. Below, we present a timeline of major events in the Seton River Corridor in relation to the land and the impacts on it. For more information about cultural history of the land, see the links at the bottom of the page.

  • 1808: Upper St’at’imc Chiefs meet with explorer Simon Fraser travelling from Fort George
  • 1858: The Upper St’át’imc territory was invaded by thousands of miners seeking gold in Lillooet district and beyond. Salmon runs failed for second consecutive year
  • 1860: Lillooet was one of the largest cities west of Chicago during the BC Gold Rush
  • 1861: Construction on Old Cariboo Road Begins and Lillooet is Mile ‘0’
  • 1876: Indian Act established
  • 1903: Provincial fisheries department constructed hatchery on the East end of Seton Lake
  • 1913: Construction of railway begins through region
  • 1927: Seton Dam and Canal construction begins
  • 1956: Dam construction completed
  • 1960: Canal construction completed
  • 1981: Bridge of the 23 Camels opened
  • 1992: The  just-paved Duffey Lake Road between Pemberton and Lillooet was made part of Highway 99, and the section of Highway 12 between Lillooet and Highway 97 was re-numbered 99
  • 2010: Sekw’el’was Seton Wildlife Corridor Restoration Feasibility Study
  • 2011-present: Sekw’el’was Seton River Corridor Conservation and Restoration Project

 

References and Resources

Smith, T. “Our Stories are Written on the Land: a brief history of the St’át’imc 1800-1940” (1988) pages 61-68. Available from University of Victoria 

Lillooet Historical Sites 

Upper St’at’imc Language, Culture, and Education Society

Seton Lake Recreation Area, BC Hydro